[j-nsp] traffic drops to 8 Gb/s when a firewall filter is applied

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Dec 14 20:33:05 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 01:19:54PM -0500, Keegan Holley wrote:
> Yea but it should have enough silicon to do simple policing in
> hardware unless you have every single other feature on the box
> enabled. If a policer with no queueing, and no marking etc, caused
> throughput to decrease by 20% across the board I'd inquire about their
> return policy.  Hopefully, it's the policer config.  Most of my 10G
> interfaces do not require policers, but I've got 1G interfaces with
> hundreds of logicals each with a unique policer.

Unfortunately not... There are all kinds of ways to make I-chip cards
not deliever line rate performance even with relatively simple firewall
rules, and it's very poorly logged when this does happen. Admittedly
I've never seen a simple "then accept" push it over the edge, but maybe
it was RIGHT on the edge before... Try looking for some discards, such
as WAN_DROP_CNTR, on the *INGRESS* interface (i.e. not the one where you
added the egress filter). For xe-x/y/0 do:

start shell pfe network fpc<x>
show ichip <y> iif stat

example:

  Traffic stats:
             Counter Name            Total           Rate      Peak Rate
   ---------------------- ---------------- -------------- --------------
               GFAB_BCNTR 4229125816477883         949530     1276098290
                 KA_PCNTR                0              0              0
                 KA_BCNTR                0              0              0
  Discard counters:
             Counter Name            Total           Rate      Peak Rate
            WAN_DROP_CNTR              298              0             82
            FAB_DROP_CNTR             1511              0            419
             KA_DROP_CNTR                0              0              0
           HOST_DROP_CNTR                0              0              0