[j-nsp] IP/MPLS fast convergence

Serge Vautour sergevautour at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 21 14:46:28 EST 2011

Hello,

We did started a greenfield deployment 2 years ago. We had no requirement for FRR and stayed clear of RSVP. We did implement LDP + OSPF LFA since it was just an extra knob and gave us something for free. We used Link Protection.

The caveat with LFA is that it will not protect 100% of your paths. A given link failure may re-route some of your traffic via LFA while the rest has to wait for standard OSPF convergence. WANDL did some LFA coverage analysis for us and if I remember correctly based on our topology we have ~70% of paths covered.

I ran some tests on our Prod network before it went live. LFA did in fact allow sub-50ms convergence. For paths that weren't covered by LFA in a worst case scenario, I got about 300ms. Not too bad. Junos seems really fast at converging even without LFA. We use MX960s and MX80s.

I hope this helps.

Serge