[j-nsp] IP/MPLS fast convergence

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Dec 21 22:49:42 EST 2011

On Thursday, December 22, 2011 02:34:22 AM Amos Rosenboim
wrote:

> I'm planning a greenfield IP/MPLS network for a mobile
> operator. The requirements are to support MPLS services
> (mainly L3 VPNs but also some VPLS), enforce  strict but
> fairly simple CoS model, and support fast convergence.
> No requirement for CSPF based TE.

Watch out though, the thing with Junos is that if you ever
want to do IGP Shortcuts in the future, you need CSPF-
enabled TE.

Cisco allow you to run IGP Shortcuts (Autoroute Announce, as
they call it) without CSPF.

> I'm considering to drop RSVP in favor of LFA and LDP, but
> was wondering if anyone is actually using this in the
> field, if so what is the impression.

How I'd love to do that, too :-). But, for now, we need
RSVP-TE for p2mp LSP's re: running NG-MVPN's. I know mLDP is
now shipping in Junos 11.2, but we're nowhere near moving to
that line yet. But then again, we'll probably maintain RSVP-
TE for IPTv traffic, but use mLDP for data-based Multicast
services.

Moroever, we're dealing with both Cisco and Juniper in
different parts of the network, so although LFA/IP-FRR is
cool in that node/link protection is locally significant to
the box running it, we'd rather all boxes had support for
maximum effect.

As of now, some platforms do, some don't. We estimate we
should be able to deploy it, across the board, in about 2 or
3 years.

Cheers,

Mark.