[j-nsp] MX VPLS Trunk with VLAN rewriting

Derick Winkworth dwinkworth at att.net
Thu Dec 22 11:04:34 EST 2011

I don't have the answer immediately for you, so I apologize.

But I wanted to chime in with a "THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT" comment.  The MX is super flexible and has loads of features with respect to VLANs/BRIDGING/VPLS/PBB etc, but its confusing as shit and the documentation is not the greatest.

There really ought to be an entire book *just* about this topic.  Written in a tutorial fashion.  Covering Q-in-Q, VPLS, PBB, VLAN tag manipulation, bridging features, etc.  All on the MX specifically.  It needs to cover the various encapsulation types, "family bridge", etc.

The MX solution guide isn't making it happen.

Still, I heart the MX immensely.  Especially now that we are finally seeing quality code on it...  or better quality code anyway.

Derick Winkworth
CCIE #15672 (RS, SP), JNCIE-M #721
http://packetpushers.net/author/dwinkworth/