[j-nsp] Unit ID's and q-in-q

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Dec 22 17:32:50 EST 2011

I am wondering if any of you have suggestions for allocating unit
numbers for q-in-q interfaces on the MX platform.

For plain VLAN's it is quite easy; just use the VLAN as the unit ID.
That does not work for q-in-q because unit numbers are integers. The
obvious solution 10100007 for outer 1010 inner 7 does not work either,
as the unit ID seems to be limited to be at most 16384.

Just adding them sequentially is a possibility, but with several hundred
subinterfaces per physical interface it becomes challenging for
operators to find the correct unit ID for a particular VLAN. Perhaps I
will have to add a per-interface unit ID database to our provisioning
system.

Ideas are welcome!

/Benny