[j-nsp] MPLS fast convergence without link information

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Dec 29 03:46:48 EST 2011

On Thursday, December 29, 2011 03:49:25 PM Mark Smith wrote:

> I have spent some time searching for a solution. I have
> found these: 1) enable BFD on the IGP session
> 2) enable BFD on the LSPs
> 3) enable BFD on the RSVP session
>
> Which one of them (if any) is the best solution?

We enable BFD on the IGP only. The IGP drives everything
(iBGP, LDP, RSVP, e.t.c.). If that is stable, all other
protocols will tend to be happier. That, for us, is the
basic.

I think BFD on LSP's, BGP, e.t.c., is more to get those
applications to react quickly to changes, and may not
necessarily consider the state of a link at that point in
time. There are cases when that is also useful, but our
situation hasn't yet been there.

Mark.