[j-nsp] MPLS fast convergence without link information

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Dec 29 15:05:23 EST 2011

On Dec 29, 2011, at 2:36 PM, Phil Mayers wrote:

> On 12/29/2011 06:48 PM, Mark Smith wrote:
>
>> I would not expect the L2 service provider to be able to tunnel
>> ethernet OAM (CCM etc) traffic.
>
> In general, or in this specific case?
>
> (I have high hopes for Ethernet OAM eventually, but from what I can tell at the moment, it's still not quite there yet - support only on really high-end platforms, etc.)

I seem to recall that many vendors can't properly handle this traffic so it's just not passed.  Most of the transport was intended to take regular packets, vs some of the ethernet frame types one might expect today.  Since most teams just copy what someone else did, these incremental requirements are sometimes missed in newer platforms.

- Jared