[j-nsp] MPLS LSP Load Balance

Jonathan Woolley lists at jonathanwoolley.com
Thu Feb 3 15:11:21 EST 2011

Hi Telmo,
Your initial assumtion is correct, the lower end M series can't hash based
on two MPLS label and IP payload, if you configure that it will hash based
on the top label and the IP payload. I believe this is due to a hardware
limitation as a T320 running the exact same code can hash based on all three
(I've seen this in our lab). In practice this should not affect your load
balancing unless you have a very large traffic stream to one LSP endpoint
without any variation in source or destination IP address (or a variation
such that the hash always chooses the same link). This is highly unlikely
for internet traffic but if you have a SAN or something you could very well
run into the problem. This is the configuration we have:

forwarding-options {
    hash-key {
        family mpls {
            label-1;
            label-2;
           payload {
                ip;
           }
       }
    }
}
routing-options {
    forwarding-table {
        export rp-core-load-balance;
    }
}
policy-statement rp-core-load-balance {
    term core {
        from instance master;
        then {
            load-balance per-packet;
        }
    }
}

If you are testing in the lab then make sure you traffic generator sends
multiple IP streams with a constant source address and the destination
address incrementing by one for each stream. You should then see load
balancing.

Jonathan