[j-nsp] MX bridge-domains

Doug Hanks dhanks at juniper.net
Sat Feb 5 00:14:53 EST 2011

802.1ad or 802.1ah?

-----Original Message-----
From: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net [mailto:juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Bill Blackford
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 11:46 AM
To: 'juniper-nsp'
Subject: [j-nsp] MX bridge-domains

I considered holding off on this question until I gained a better understanding on what I really need but then thought I'd like to head down the right path before I get too deep.

The scenario:
I have a need to carry customers on individual tags though the network to provide IP on the far end. Basically a simple access exchange. The UNI handoff could be an 'access' port or in some cases an NNI handoff from a NSP that's 'trunked'. In either case, I'm passing the customer tags through my network via 'vlan-bridge' and the use of 'bridge-domains'.

The question:
Should I place each customer in its own bridge-domain/vlan-id/unit # or would it make more sense to use a single bridge-domain and 'vlan-id-list'?

Thank you,

-b

--
Bill Blackford
Senior Network Engineer

Logged into reality and abusing my sudo priviledges