[j-nsp] IPv6 for PPP customers on ERX310

Egor Zimin lesnix at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 16:59:37 EST 2011

Amos,
Probably it's enough.

Let's consider this option:
---
ipv6 nd managed-config-flag
---
This option sets "Managed address configuration" flag in RA messages:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junose10.3/information-products/topic-collections/command-reference-a-m/ipv6-nd-managed-config-flag.html#id-42696

For what purpose there is a "Managed" flag ?
The answer is in RFC 2462:
A "managed address configuration" flag indicates whether hosts should
use stateful autoconfiguration to obtain addresses.

However, 2462 is obsoleted by 4862 and one of changes is:
"Removed the text regarding the M and O flags, considering the maturity
of implementations and operational experiences. ManagedFlag and
OtherConfigFlag were removed accordingly.". But also there is a Note in
4862: "(Note that this change does not mean the use of these flags is
deprecated)"

So, if there is a "managed" flag in RA, then hosts should use DHCPv6
IA_NA for address assignment.

If I understand clear, you "tried another option which is to send RA
from the Juniper". So, IMHO, you should remove "managed" flag from RA
messages. In my scenario I removed "managed" flag and Win7 host has
succesfully assigned Global Unicast address with a common /64 prefix.

Hope it helps.

--
Best regards,
  Egor Zimin