[j-nsp] ERX software upgrades

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Fri Jan 7 15:17:24 EST 2011

Hi folks.

I'm doing my first ERX based software upgrade on a lab box.  Reading through
the docs, I have finally figured out the steps involved and how to use FTP
to upload the files etc.

In one of the steps it says:

Task 7: Identify the Files to Transfer

To identify all the files for the release, open the software release (.rel)
file

on the ERX software CD with a text editor. The software release file

contains a list of all the files associated with the release. You must
transfer

the software release file and all the files it contains to the user space.

When I open up the 1Gig+ zip file I find the actual .rel file.  It has a
huge list of files to select from.  How do I know which files I need?  This
is an ERX-310 with an 8 port HDE card...    towards the bottom of the text
file there is a series of "subsystem" sections.  One of them says "required"
and then the other sections are named similar to that of modules we could
have installed (but don't such as OC-12).

So I'm thinking we need to transfer these files up to the box - am I on the
right track?  I would just upload all of them but there's not enough space
on the system to hold an image (it's over 1 Gig and the flash is only 1 Gig)

Subsystem; required

srp.exe

srpBoot.cmp

srpBootSymbols.sym

srpDiag.exe

srpIc.exe

srpIcDiag.exe

srpStartup.exe

srpTechSupport.cmd

otfConversions510.otf

srp40.exe

srp40Boot.cmp

srp40BootSymbols.sym

srp40Diag.exe

srp40Startup.exe

srp40TechSupport.cmd

otfConversions40.otf

srp310.exe

srp310Boot.cmp

srp310Diag.exe

srp310Startup.exe

srp310TechSupport.cmd

otfConversions310.otf

release.ini

EndSubsystem;

Subsystem; codeconv

otfConversions510.otf

ic510_cconv.hfx

otfConversions40.otf

ic40_cconv.hfx

otfConversions310.otf

ic310_cconv.hfx

EndSubsystem;

Subsystem; ge

ge.exe

geDiag.cmp

ifaFc.exe

oc12aBoot.cmp

oc12aExtendedBoot.cmp

oc12aStartup.exe

efaFc.exe

geFpgas.cmp

geVeFpgas.cmp

geTechSupport.cmd

oc12aIssuBoot.exe

ge_cconv.hxe

ge_cconv.hfd

EndSubsystem;

Subsystem; vts (NO IDEA ON THIS ONE)

Subsystem; ut3f12 (NO IDEA ON THIS ONE)

Subsystem; ge2 (difference between GE and GE2 I have no idea)

ge2.exe

ge2Diag.cmp

ge2Boot.cmp

ge2Startup.exe