[j-nsp] Recommandation for PIC slots on m10i routers

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Wed Jan 12 12:16:13 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 2:27 AM, meryem Z <meryem_z at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Community,
>
> When a juniper router is delivered , PICs are usually already installed.
> I need to know for an M10i router for example,  what is the default hardware layout (slots used by default for each type of PICs) ? I didn't find any recommandation about slots to be used for each type of PIC in the software release notes or m10i hardware guide ..

M10i  has 8 PIC slots, grouped as two groups of four slots (each
called a FPC), each group of four slots supporting 4Gbit (FDX, 8Gbit
HDX) which unless you buy other options like an ASPIC2(+) or GigE PICs
will be unpopulated.  Unlike the M7i which will connect the second FPC
slot to inbuilt FE or GigE's (depending on your BASE) the M10i (to my
knowledge) has no such options.  So you can plug up to 8 PICs into it.
 There are certain combinations/limits, and there's a tech bulletin
about PIC Combination Rules which they keep updated.

In the M10i all PIC slots are equal,  The chassis is designed for PE-*
series PICs (with Ejector) but many of us successfully use PB-* series
PICs without the ejector but you have to be aware they can be a bugger
to get out...I don't actually know what Juniper's stance on that is,
but I'd assume it's unsupported.

Hope this answers your question, if not, please clarify.