[j-nsp] Anycast

Chris Morrow morrowc at ops-netman.net
Tue Jan 18 16:38:22 EST 2011

On 01/18/11 16:25, Johan Borch wrote:
> Thanks for all replies.
>
> My IGP is not very large and changes are small.Load balancers are expensive
> and the commercial products don't really fit in the budget. The idea is that
> the sites should be active-active and take over for each other if one of
> them fail, but this sound like a challenging task :)

you could just do bind views (with a view of your view of the internet
split as you think makes sense) to get the same effect as a GSLB, that's
all akamai's dns solution is anyways... and use different localpref'd
routes at each location to prefer a "master" at that site... dropping
bgp announcements at a site if the service is offline there.

-chris
(yes, akamai's dns is more complicated, but at the end of the day ipX
gets answerY ...)