[j-nsp] VLAN and RVI on MX Series

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Jan 18 17:11:18 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 07:54:26PM +0000, Bill Blackford wrote:
> I'm looking to duplicate or closely proximate the VLAN RVI
> functionality currently used on a LAN switch over to a MX80. Is
> there a best accepted practices or any examples available for doing
> this? There seem to be a lot of knobs and so far my experimentation
> has yielded little results.

> An understanding of some of these knobs would be advantageous as
> well if there are any references.

You can take a look at the Layer 2 Configuration Guide:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.4/information-products/topic-collections/config-guide-layer-2/config-guide-layer-2.pdf

but beware that "trunk-style" configurations don't work on MX80 or
MX-MPC/Trio hardware yet.  You have to rewind back to 9.1
documentation to learn how to configure MX80 and MX-MPC/Trio cards
until the new hardware catches up with the 9.2+ Layer 2 features:

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos91/mx-solutions-guide/mx-solutions-guide.pdf

Here is an example of something that should work on an MX80 with 10.4
or older (untested configuration):

bridge-domains {
    FOO {
        vlan-id 10;
        interface xe-0/0/0.10;
        interface xe-1/0/0.0;
        routing-interface irb.10;
    }
    BAR {
        vlan-id 20;
        interface xe-0/0/0.20;
        routing-interface irb.20;
    }
    BAZ {
        vlan-id 30;
        interface xe-0/0/0.30;
        routing-interface irb.30;
    }
}
interfaces {
    xe-0/0/0 {
        description "tagged interface on vlans 10, 20, 30";
        flexible-vlan-tagging;
        encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
        unit 10 {
            encapsulation vlan-bridge;
            vlan-id 10;
        }
        unit 20 {
            encapsulation vlan-bridge;
            vlan-id 20;
        }
        unit 30 {
            encapsulation vlan-bridge;
            vlan-id 30;
        }
    }
    xe-1/0/0 {
        description "untagged interface on vlan 10";
        encapsulation ethernet-bridge;
        unit 0;
    }
    irb {
        unit 10 {
            family inet {
                address 10.10.10.1/24;
            }
        }
        unit 20 {
            family inet {
                address 10.10.20.1/24;
            }
        }
        unit 30 {
            family inet {
                address 10.10.30.1/24;
            }
        }
    }
}

Here is the above example converted to "trunk-style" which should work
on DPC-only today (again, untested configuration).  MPC/Trio and MX80
support for this will come "soon":

bridge-domains {
    FOO {
        vlan-id 10;
        routing-interface irb.10;
    }
    BAR {
        vlan-id 20;
        routing-interface irb.20;
    }
    BAZ {
        vlan-id 30;
        routing-interface irb.30;
    }
}
interfaces {
    xe-0/0/0 {
        description "tagged interface on vlans 10, 20, 30";
        flexible-vlan-tagging;
        encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
        unit 0 {
            family bridge {
                interface-mode trunk;
                vlan-id-list [ 10 20 30 ];
            }
        }
    }
    xe-1/0/0 {
        description "untagged interface on vlan 10";
        flexible-vlan-tagging;
        encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
        unit 0 {
            family bridge {
                interface-mode access;
                vlan-id 10;