[j-nsp] Anycast

Terry Baranski tbaranski at mail.com
Tue Jan 18 18:59:02 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 13:45, Johan Borch <johan.borch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would web traffic be suitable to use with anycasting? The
> applications in question is a standard website with database
> backend that I need to load balance (active-active) between
> multiple sites.

The active-active part is the problem. An active-standby scenario is much
easier, as routing metrics can be used to make sure that the primary server
is always preferred as long as it is online. Then you avoid clients bouncing
around between servers (other than in total failure scenarios).

We use Anycast for redundancy for everything from DNS to IPSec VPNs and it
works like a champ. But load balancing is a different game.

-Terry