[j-nsp] Making an SRX a Router and Security Device, for an enterprise

Mike Williams mike.williams at comodo.com
Wed Jul 13 13:42:47 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Two of us here have almost lost our minds trying to do this. So we're hoping
for a suitably strong fu-injection.

We have an MX80 and an SRX650, and shortly we'll have another MX and SRX, with
further to come.
Elsewhere we've got a mixture of SRX, J-series (some Js all packet-mode, some
flow-mode), and a couple Ms. Little of this is relevant though.

Obviously we got the little SRX to offer "security", as only certain traffic
has to be filtered. We also got it so all our intersite traffic can be nicely
encrypted (IPSec).

We're pretty happy with policy filters, routing instances, interface
rib-groups, etc, on the MX to send the right traffic to the SRX.

But one area we're seriously stuck on is the IPSec, and the asymmetry in
intersite routing that will occur. We're anycasting services.

The available documentation, and examples floating around the interwebs, are
aimed more at service providers doing MPLS with customers, but we're an
enterprise with little interest in MPLS and no customers routes we need to
carry separately.

What I *think* we need is;

st0.X/Y/Z in the master.
gr-0/0/0.X/Y/Z over st0.X/Y/Z tied to a packet-mode VR. Intersite OSPF.
ge-2/0/8.X tied to the same packet-mode VR. OSPF to the MX.
ge-2/0/9.X/Y/Z tied to another VR, but flow-mode. Various interfaces and zones
for the MX to forward to, policies and snat, an interface for the SRX to
return SNAT'd traffic, and a couple static routes for it to return the
traffic to the right unit on the MX.

How to go about making a "packet-mode VR" and a "flow-mode VR", and whether I
am infact using the right terms, is where I'm mostly stuck.

One thing I don't believe we want, and is something fairly central to one
document (3500192-en.pdf) is the lt- interface between "Services-VR"
and "Packet-VR".
We think that's counter-productive for us, as having flow-mode services act
as 'an-SRX on a stick' is right, so traffic to the MX from another site is
only "seen" (i.e. not encapsulated) and statefully tracked if we explicitally
choose it to be so.

Any hints on configuration, pointers to the One True Path (TM), or even
confirmation we're already on the right path, all gladly welcomed.

Thanks

--
Mike Williams