[j-nsp] snmp count for arp policer?

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Thu Jul 14 09:56:10 EDT 2011

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Stefan Fouant wrote:

> Hi Clarke,
>
> If you are using an MX platform, instead of using family-inet on your
> interfaces, configure them in a bridge-group using family bridge (simply use
> an IRB interface for the routing functions).  Then you can create firewall
> filters for those respective interfaces under [firewall filter family bridge]
> as in the following:
>
> root at lab-mx1# show firewall
> family bridge {
>    filter test {
>        term arp {
>            from {
>                ether-type arp;
>            }
>            then {
>                count arp;
>                accept;
>            }
>        }
>    }
> }
>
> Once you have a counter assigned, you can now poll this via SNMP as well.

Hi, Stefan,

I guess I should have been more descriptive.  In my MX configuration, the
IRB interface is the only interface in the VPLS domain, so there are no
"bridge" interfaces where I can configure a "bridge" filter. In other
words, the VPLS instance is configured as "connectivity-type irb".  The
only interface I can configure in that VPLS domain for a filter is the IRB
itself, which requires "family inet", unless there is something I don't
know about.

instance-type vpls;
vlan-id 100;
routing-interface irb.100;
route-distinguisher 192.168.0.1:100;
vrf-target target:65000:100;
protocols {
     vpls {
         connectivity-type irb;
     }
}

So my example is a little problematic since the ether-type part of the
packet I need to look at on ingress is buried under the mpls header.

Your suggestion  does work well in other configuration contexts.

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)
Williamsburg VA 23187