[j-nsp] Dell - Juniper

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Sun Jul 17 20:07:28 EDT 2011

On 18/07/2011, at 9:37 AM, Ryan Finnesey wrote:

> Does anyone have any comments on the switches Dell OEMs from Juniper?
> Are they truly the same?  We meet with them last week regarding server
> and storage for a new DaaS build out.  They told us they can offer us
> Dell networking hardware that they OEM from Juniper at a much lower cost
> than Juniper direct.

DISCLAIMER: I work for a Juniper Partner, and this information was provided by a customer of mine, so your mileage may vary:

- Same hardware, same software
- Support-wise you have Dell support in front of the JTAC (eg: another layer)
- Pricing - when you buy the switches with Dell servers they can do all sorts pricing magic to make the switches look cheap by absorbing the price in the server margin.  If you do decide to travel this road, find out if they will provide the "cheap" price when you just need to buy one standalone switch in 6 months time.