[j-nsp] RSVP to LDP migration

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Wed Jul 27 10:50:45 EDT 2011

When we initially configured our RSVP infrastructure we ran into a big
problem since the LSPs/FastReroute were not being handled properly over
aggregated Ethernet links.   So I had to fairly quickly convert everything
over to LDP so that I could work on the RSVP/link-aggregation issue later.

In my experience, you can easily configure LDP to run alongside RSVP and
not tunnel over RSVP.  I simply followed Garrett's recipes in the _JUNOS
Cookbook_, along with the Junos documentation, for basic LDP setup and it
was pretty straight forward -- no surprises.  To enable LDP to be
prefered, I just changed the route preference on RSVP on all of my
routers, without having to disable "protocol rsvp".  This was with Junos
9.6 on the MX platform.

I do not have a good sense of outage time, however, simply because my RSVP
stuff wasn't really working properly to begin with.  The fact that LDP
came up and traffic started flowing immediately was good enough for me at
the time :-)

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)