[j-nsp] tag-protocol-id matching in vlan-tags

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 17:03:08 EDT 2011

MX running 10.0 (DPCE-R-20GE-2XGE for int in question)

Should I expect that a logical unit configured with 'vlan-tags outer
0x88A8.100' would also permit frames using TPID 8100 and VLAN ID 100 ?
 I kinda expected not (since it doesn't 'match'), yet if I change my
test set to send normal 0x8100.100 frames, they're still accepted by
the interface (config below) and stuffed into the associated VPN.

[edit interfaces ge-1/1/0]
flexible-vlan-tagging;
encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
gig-ether-options {
  no-auto-negotiation;
  ethernet-switch-profile {
    tag-protocol-id 0x88A8;
  }
}
unit 100 {
  encapsulation vlan-ccc;
  vlan-tags outer 0x88A8.100;
  input-vlan-map pop;
  output-vlan-map push;
}

  Are my expectations that "specifying the TPID in the vlan-tags
statement would ONLY match frames with that TPID" wrong?  Practice
would indicate that I'm wrong, but I guess I'm wondering if this is
expected behaviour.

TIA,

David