[j-nsp] Converting ASA-5540 to SRX-650

Kevin Cullimore kcullimo at runbox.com
Sat Jul 30 15:16:06 EDT 2011

On 7/29/2011 2:37 AM, Ben Dale wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>
> On 28/07/2011, at 1:15 PM, Paulhamus, Jon wrote:
>
>> Hello all -
>>
>> I am in the process of replacing an aging Cisco ASA-5540 with an SRX-650.  The ASA has a large number of static NAT translations, as well as many outbound source NAT pools.  Does anyone have any suggestions on creating templates for at least the statics that I need to recreate on this box?
Since you're manipulating one text-based configuration to resemble a
different vendor's style of text-based configuration, perl might be your
best bet.

If you have scripting allergies, in the past I've leveraged the
high-degree of repetition associated with the command arguments and
created excel templates wherein all you needed to do was plug in the
relevant ip addresses.

> I've been doing these for a couple of years and it is a pretty painful process.
>
> Firstly, if you're using address object names on your ASA, you'll need convert them back to IP addresses in the configurations - Junos doesn't support Address names in NAT configuration.
>
> Secondly, the ASA config:
>
> static (dmz,out) 203.1.1.140 10.10.10.140
>
> (which IMHO is completely ass-backwards) will end up looking like:

no need to associate humility with that particular opinion. it IS
ass-backwards. It makes about as much sense as referring to one of the
subcomponents of your natting scheme as a "nat" or assuming that people
will sound out the component letters of your product name ("P-I-X")
instead of pronouncing it like the word it appears to be ("PIX").