[j-nsp] M5 RE in M20 (lab to production)

Tom Schmidt wellknown at gmx.net
Sat Jul 9 05:22:32 EDT 2011

Hello,
I just faced a problem where I put a former production RE (junos 8.5) from M160 into our lab M5.

Boot was from cfcard, no hdd installed. Junos bootup msgs were showing “packet mismatch” for pfe packages.
Normally it seems that junos is loading this from a full software image on hdd if not found on cfcard.

Everything working except the pfe, that’s bad for production

As my cfcard is 2g, is there a possiblity to install a “complete” image for all m-series pfe or at least copy m20 pfe packages additional on cfcard?

I would like to upgrade this re to junos 10.x on m5 and swap it to m20.

Many thanks and best regards,

Tom