[j-nsp] m120 problem with performance ?

piotr.1234 at interia.pl piotr.1234 at interia.pl
Wed Jun 1 06:01:36 EDT 2011

Hi

I have m120 (9.6R2.11)  with 1x10GE card, compact. I can say that is routing on stick, few vlans are "internal" and few is from isp. Port in m120 is connected to extreme switch summit x450a. On switch i have only vlans, nothing more.  I have strange problem with performance on m120 - I see packet loss between hosts in various direct connected network but only when we have traffic peak.

About packet loss:

I send 10000 icmp packets with interval 0.001 icmp packets between various hosts in variuos networks. All networks are direct connected to m120. I don't get about 20-40 packets on 10000. I also noticed that i have packet loss when i ping m120 interface.  Packet loss is only during day, when traffic is greatest, during morning, night there is no packet loss. I made test by write to file output of tcpdump on both end and compare result. All servers have big performance, they don't do anything else. I see also timeouts in tcp session but icmp is better to measure.

Info about m120:

In peak i have ca 6 Gb/s on 10Ge interface, cpu on RE and FEB is low, about 5-6. 60% traffic is streaming from Windows Media Services, rest are html and smtp. I made graph of broadcast and icmp packets from all interface and it seems ok.  I have graph of  errors on xe-0/0/0 but there is ca 50 errors per minut and they don't change during whole day.

Default arp policer is enable and there is no any discards

Someone had similar problem? i'll be glad to hear some clue or info what kind of packets make this degradation in packet forwarding ? what i should check ?

Thank you for help