[j-nsp] MX80 Opinions

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jun 2 22:06:28 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 11:47:30AM +1000, Julien Goodwin wrote:

> There was talk of a VC-like implementation for the MX80, although I
> don't know if that went anywhere.
>
> Now that they have the XRE200 what about letting us install Junos64 on
> it and making it a reflector platform.

We actually tested the XRE200 for RR use (since it's a hell of a lot
more sane than a JCS), but they specifically lock it down so you can't
run BGP on it directly. This is the only JUNOS platform which is SMP
enabled right now, and from what I've heard the regular kernel krt isn't
thread safe, so my theory is to make it do SMP they may have had to
disable some of the normal routing operations and only make it capable
of controlling other EX chassis. I'm sure it would make a fine, if very
overpriced, Olive though. :)