[j-nsp] Understanding versioning of service and regular releases

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Jun 3 10:19:12 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 11:58:00AM +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
> On 2011-05-27, JUNOS 11.1S2 was released for the EX. So this release is
> a couple of weeks newer than JUNOS 11.1R2.3. However,
> <https://www.juniper.net/customers/csc/software/junos_software_versions.jsp>
> says 11.1R2.3 is the recommended version for the EX 4500 in VC
> configurations.

Let me throw out some warnings about 11.1S2 for EX real quick.

First off, when you upgrade a backup RE (we saw this on EX8200 but it
might apply to VC's too) and are running some older code on the master
(we saw this on several dfiff versions of 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3), there
is a ~15% chance that when the backup RE comes online is will cause the
router to completely stop forwarding traffic. This isn't a case of the
backup stealing control of the pfe, and it doesn't leave anything in the
logs, it just silently disrupts the master RE so it can't reach
anything, and stays that way until you restart the router or switch over
to the 11.1 RE. We've seen this happen several times now on several
different routers, no GRES or anything like that, and there is no PR
yet.

Also, they've done something to royally hose the sync process between
master and backup RE on this code. When running 11.1S2 on the backup,
and any of a dozen different versions of 10.1, 10.2, or 10.3 (haven't
tested 10.4, doesn't seem to happen when both REs are running 11.1S2), a
commit sync will always fail. This wouldn't be so bad, except that on EX
(at least on EX8200) you CAN'T disable commit sync, even if you don't
specify it it always does it. This means that you will never be able to
commit with the backup RE online, and the only workaround seems to be to
reboot the backup RE before you commit on the master so that it sees it
offline and successfully ignores it. Again no PR on this yet.

No experience with it on 3200/4200/4500/VCs yet, but based on our
experience w/EX8200 so far this code should come with a warning label,
may be hazardous to your health. :)