[j-nsp] difference between "halt" and "power-off"

Michel de Nostredame d.nostra at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 23:22:57 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Martin T <m4rtntns at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the difference between "request system halt" and "request
> system power-off" under JUNOS? Is there a possibility to completely
> turn off the router remotely(for example in case of Cisco it's
> impossible)?
>
> regards,
> martin

>From my experience that power-off will "shutdown the power of the
device", if the device could be powered off such as J-series routers.
If the system is powered-off, you need someone / something to press
the power button to bring it up. This is something like you power-off
your laptop PC.

The halt will kill all processes and stand-by there, so you can press
any key in console to bring up the system remotely.

--
Michel~