[j-nsp] MX loopback filter and monitor traffic

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Thu Jun 16 12:18:34 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Clarke Morledge <chmorl at wm.edu> wrote:
> However, if I do a "monitor traffic" on the loopback interface itself, I see
> nothing:

I like to think of "monitor traffic" as something which is nice when
it works the way I hope it will, but isn't something to really get
concerned about when it doesn't behave as expected.  If you really
need detailed information to debug a problem, mirroring traffic to an
interface (or a GRE tunnel, etc.) and doing packet capture on a PC is
more reliable than betting on the output of "monitor traffic."

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts