[j-nsp] RE : RE : T Series RE-1300 CompactFlash Card upgrade

Rafael Rodriguez packetjockey at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:19:09 EDT 2011

So things are "kinda" working now.  RE is a RE-1600 and not a RE-1300, typo
in the original email sent to the mailing list.

Can someone to please verify my understanding of the following:
1) The router should boot off the CF with no dependency on the harddrive for
boot up
2) The two main purposes of the harddrive are a) to provide an alternative
boot device for the router in the event the CF has a failure and b) to store
lots of stuff (logs, dumps, install packages, etc) that isn't practical for
a CF to store

Here are the steps that were taken to get to the "kinda" working state:
Took stock 256MB CF out of the RE.  CF and HD both are running 10.0 code.
 Booted RE off the harddrive.  Copied over 9.3 install-media to HD.  Took a
SanDisk PCMCIA to CF Card reader/writer and connected the stock 256MB CF to
it.  DD'd the install media onto the PCMCIA/CF Card (dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/ad3 count=20, dd if=INSTALL-MEDIA of=/dev/ad3).  I powered off the
RE.  Popped into the RE CF slot the new SanDisk 1GB CF (type regular, non
extreme).  With PCMCIA slot 0 still holding the PCMCIA/CF Card install-media
I booted up the RE.  Get the warning message that by proceeding CF and HD
will be wiped out.  Answered yes and 9.3 code is installed.  Eject the
PCMCIA/CF Card with install-media and reboot the RE.  On bootup RE shows
that its trying to boot from CF, then trying to boot from HD.  It finally
boots up in 9.3 code (no notification/warning message stating that it booted
off the hd).  Upgrade to 10.4 code via regular install package.  RE boots up
with 10.4 code but still gives the boot message of trying to boot off cf,
then hd.  df -gh shows that / and /config are being mounted off the CF.
 /var shows that it's being mounted off the HD.  Output of df -gh seem to
contradict the "trying cf, trying hd" messages on boot up.  To verify that
the RE is indeed booting off the CF, I powered off the RE, disconnected the
HD IDE ribbon cable, booted the RE backup.  RE goes into an endless loop of
trying to boot off cf, hd, lan.  Reconnect HD, power back up the RE and I
get the same message of trying cf, trying hd.  RE finally boots.  Again, no
notification/warning message stating that it booted of HD.  Mount points all
look good (/ /config off CF, /var off HD).  For some reason, it appears that
the RE doesn't want to boot off a CF that is greater than 256MB (I've now
tested 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB).  The stock 256MB CF boots up without the trying
cf, trying hd messages.  Below is some output from the RE.

Trying to boot from Compact Flash ...

Trying to boot from Hard disk ...

Error message logged to console after logging in (this is the 1GB SanDisk
CF):
ad0: FAILURE - WIN_SMART status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=4<ABORTED>

Once the router boots up, mount points look like this:
root at blah% df -gh
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    856M    227M    560M    29%    /
devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
/dev/md0        34M     34M      0B   100%    /packages/mnt/jbase
/dev/md1       9.7M    9.7M      0B   100%    /packages/mnt/jkernel-10.4R4.5
/dev/md2        79M     79M      0B   100%    /packages/mnt/jpfe-T-10.4R4.5
/dev/md3       5.8M    5.8M      0B   100%    /packages/mnt/jdocs-10.4R4.5
/dev/md4        69M     69M      0B   100%    /packages/mnt/jroute-10.4R4.5
/dev/md5        21M     21M      0B   100%    /packages/mnt/jcrypto-10.4R4.5
/dev/md6        39M     39M      0B   100%
 /packages/mnt/jpfe-common-10.4R4.5
/dev/md7       294M    294M      0B   100%
 /packages/mnt/jruntime-10.4R4.5
/dev/md8       2.0G    8.0K    1.8G     0%    /tmp
/dev/md9       2.0G    352K    1.8G     0%    /mfs
/dev/ad0s1e     95M     12K     87M     0%    /config
procfs         4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /proc
/dev/ad1s1f     25G    1.7G     21G     8%    /var

root at blah% cat /etc/fstab
#version 3
# Device       Mountpoint  FStype  Options  Dump  Pass#
/dev/ad0s1a    /           ufs     rw        1    1
/dev/ad0s1e    /config     ufs     rw        2    2
proc           /proc       procfs  rw        0    0
/dev/ad1s1f    /var        ufs     rw,noauto 2    0
/dev/ad1s1b    none       swap    sw        0    0
/dev/ad1s1b    /tmp        mfs     rw,noauto 0    0
/dev/ad1s1b    /mfs        mfs     rw,noauto 0    0
/dev/ad1s1a    /altroot    ufs     rw,noauto 2    0
/dev/ad1s1e    /altconfig  ufs     rw,noauto 2    0

root at blah> show version
Hostname: blah
Model: t320
JUNOS Base OS boot [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Base OS Software Suite [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Kernel Software Suite [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Crypto Software Suite [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Packet Forwarding Engine Support (M/T Common) [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Packet Forwarding Engine Support (T-Series) [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Online Documentation [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Voice Services Container package [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Border Gateway Function package [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Services AACL Container package [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Services LL-PDF Container package [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Services PTSP Container package [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Services Stateful Firewall [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Services NAT [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Services Application Level Gateways [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Services Captive Portal and Content Delivery Container package
[10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Services RPM [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS AppId Services [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS IDP Services [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Runtime Software Suite [10.4R4.5]
JUNOS Routing Software Suite [10.4R4.5]

root at blah> show system storage
[...]
/dev/md9                2.0G       354K       1.8G        0%  /mfs
/dev/ad0s1e              95M        14K        87M        0%  /config
procfs                  4.0K       4.0K         0B      100%  /proc
/dev/ad1s1f              25G       1.7G        21G        8%  /var

Don't know whats happening with the booting of the 1GB CF, hoping I am just
overlooking something minor.  Thanks!