[j-nsp] What do you think about the MX line?

OBrien, Will ObrienH at missouri.edu
Sat Jun 25 10:35:34 EDT 2011

I'm very happy with it, but I've only got MX960s.
It's a fantastic platform for user aggregation. I use it to police per individual IP across a couple of /16s. Soon I'll be rolling out NAT services for a /16 of private space for wireless users.

I'd like to get some of the new smaller boxes, but I'm still waiting for that ideal setup.

My only complaint has been due to the fact that I only have 10gb blades. I've had to burn a port for tunnel services on the box. (On the 40 port gig blades, a 41st interface is there just for tunnel services.)
I'm hoping that the port price goes down to make it  good option for campus building aggregation, but for now it's stuck on my edge, mostly due to port cost (and other factors that have no bearing here)

As far as reliability, it's been a great box. I've lost one RE, which caused a minor blip (I don't have the REs set up for HA routing at the moment) The recovery was so fast, my coworkers just assumed that I was messing around!
In general, the MX platform is a pleasure to work with. I keep waiting for some MX specific advanced training to come out, but otherwise I love those things.

Oh, and even a 960 will mount in a two post rack. :)