[j-nsp] Debug vmcore files

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Mar 1 11:44:00 EST 2011

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 07:21:58AM -0500, Scott T. Cameron wrote:
> You could use gdb.  But the likelihood of any success without source
> code is slim.

You'd be absolutely amazed how much JTAC stupidity can be avoided by
looking at the coredump backtrace yourself, without needing source
access. As I understand it they use some point and click tool for
automatically identifying PRs which match a coredump, and in my
experience their tool is on crack a VERY high percentage of the time.
Being able to say "uh no, that's not even close to what I see in the
backtrace, please try again" can literally cut months off the time it
takes for a case to be resolved.