[j-nsp] SRX Static NAT

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Thu Mar 3 00:35:42 EST 2011

> I remember doing a single line in screenos unless my recollection is off.
>
> On the Cisco ASA/PIX, it's a single line 'static (inside,outside)
> ....' statement.
> Is there an equivalently efficient method on the SRX?
>
> Thank you in advance for any input.

Arp-proxy is needed to attract traffic towards the SRX. E. g. if your
ISP-facing interface has address 66.x.y.2/27, and 66.x.y.1/27 is your ISP's
gw address, the ISP's router will newer send traffic towards 66.x.y.6 and
66.x.y.18 to you, unless one of the following is configured:

a) Arp-proxy on the SRX side,
b) Longer route like "66.x.y.18/32 -> 66.x.y.2" on the ISP side
c) Static ARP entry of the ISP side: "66.x.y.18 has the SRX's external iface
MAC address"

Otherwise it will ask for ARP 66.x.y.18 and won't get a reply. Of course the
first point is the best choice.

If your ISP routes traffic towards 66.x.x.18 to you (e. g. you announce them
66.x.y.0/24) using other addresses on the PE-CE link, you don't need
arp-proxy.

Yes, in ScreenOS and PIXOS, when you configure MIP/Static NAT, a proxy-arp
entry is automatically created. But in case of destination NAT (ScreenOS
speak, I don't remember how it's called in ASA) it is not. Moreover until
the very latest release of ScreenOS (only 6.4 IFAIR) you can not configure
arp-proxy for destination nat. We were suffering from this for ages.

In my opinion, new NAT logic is a strong point of SRX in comparison to
SrceenOS. I find very clever the idea to separate NAT rules totally from
routing (for source nat you don't bind pools to interfaces) and from FW
policies and to separate the arp-proxy settings. Yes, it adds some
complexity to config files and can be not comprehensive from the first
glance for people from different worlds, but this is much more flexible.