[j-nsp] 2x EX4200 Virtual Chassis Layer2/3 - Which JunOS Version ?

Wojciech Owczarek wojciech at owczarek.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 12:57:36 EST 2011

Thought you might find this useful as well:

I know that there is a memory leak issue on JunOS 10.0 for EX4200 affecting VC stacks in particular where the stack members fall over from memory exhaustion when the uptime reaches around 360 days. Can't remember which release fixes it though.

Regards,
Wojciech

-
Wojciech Owczarek

On 4 Mar 2011, at 17:28, Bill Blackford <bblackford at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Also important to note: You might not plan to carry the full table, but if you plan to accomplish that by rejecting any route from your ISP other than the default, you'll have a performance problem when the EX has to reject thousands (full table now at ~350k routes) of routes. Be sure to have your ISP send you JUST the default. ;)
>
> +1
>
> I use EX4200's in some aggregation roles. I found that I had to filter
> routes on my borders sitting above these. For what ever it's worth, I
> had to do the same for Cisco LAN switches (3750G) in agg roles too.
>
> -b
>

> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Paul Zugnoni <paul.zugnoni at onlive.com> wrote:
>> Hope a 2-week later reply is still relevant for you:
>>
>> I've had good experience with 10.0S1.1 and 10.1R3.7 in setups that include your 3 requirements below. As noted earlier in the thread, upgrades on a EX VC are not hitless, so keep that in mind. The VC will not provide HA for a code upgrade.
>>
>> Also important to note: You might not plan to carry the full table, but if you plan to accomplish that by rejecting any route from your ISP other than the default, you'll have a performance problem when the EX has to reject thousands (full table now at ~350k routes) of routes. Be sure to have your ISP send you JUST the default. ;)
>>
>> Don't forget to get the right license to run BGP on the EX.
>>
>> Paul Z
>>
>> On Feb 19, 2011, at 08:13 , Giovanni Bellac wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all
>>>
>>> I have now spend a lot of time to find out the optimal version of JunOS for our
>>> newly ordered 2x EX4200s.
>>>
>>> 1) We will run a 2x EX4200 Virtual Chassis.
>>> 2) We will run BGP default routes (NO full table) and announce our /21.