[j-nsp] VC (2x EX4200) JunOS Upgrade without downtime ?

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Sun Mar 20 23:28:19 EDT 2011

In my experience, you can do this and maintain availability of the entire
VC, however individual member switches may themselves go down for a period
of time while the upgrade takes place.

In your environment, because you have 2x EX4200s, you should be able to do
this without any downtime whatsoever as long as you are doing VC-LAG between
the customer switches and the VC.  In this case, while the Master is being
upgraded and switches mastership priority to the Backup, traffic will flow
via the remaining path in the VC-LAG through the Backup (now assuming the
role of the Master).

Perform the upgrade on the Master and it will ensure that all member
switches are upgraded, so you won't have to worry about individual member
switches not joining the VC due to incompatible code, etc.

Good luck!

Stefan Fouant, CISSP, JNCIEx2
www.shortestpathfirst.net
GPG Key ID: 0xB4C956EC