[j-nsp] XFP-10G-L-OC192-SR1

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Mar 24 11:17:08 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 08:07:57AM -0400, Paul Stewart wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> These are "10KM" optics - how short of a run can you use them for?  We
> have several of these spared at the moment and I'd like to use them
> for connections between MX480's in the same rack. will they run too
> hot?

http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog48/presentations/Sunday/RAS_opticalnet_N48.pdf

See page 79. LR and below has no blindness danger even back-to-back, ER
has a blindness danger but not a damage danger, and ZR you can actually
damage if you don't have enough attenuation before going into the
receiver.

We don't even bother with shorter reach optics, after way too many
issues encountered with SR and the like. It's easier (and cheaper if you
have the right sources) to just buy all LR and standardize on SMF than
it is to bother maintaining two inventories and mucking with orange
cables even for intra-rack stuff.