[j-nsp] M7i

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Mar 24 13:41:23 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:
> On 3/24/11 12:44 AM, cjwstudios wrote:
>> Hi Jonathan, thanks for the reply.
>>
>> The application is a service provider edge, all ethernet, with routed
>> traffic to two carriers.  Internal traffic is a mix of IGP and OSPF.
>>
>> I'll have to take a look at the EX series.  All of the literature on
>> the juniper site suggests the EX is targeted more toward lan
>> aggregation while the SRX handles the edge.
>
> ex doesn't have enough fib for a ful table so If you need to take two
> feeds and install all those routes, it's the wrong platform. m7i is just
> ducky at the speed you're talking but the re-400 is a bit underpowered
> and ramed for the modern era. re-850 with 1.5GB however is tollerable.

This is a very good point, and one that I kinda didn't think about. It
would probably be fine to take a decently-sized IGP table, but not an
external one. Though it could be used to terminate an MPLS path to pin
the BGP sessions and traffic elsewhere.

There's kinda a hole in Juniper's product line between something small
like a J-series or SRX and an M or MX-series box.
I suppose the MX80 fills that hole somewhat, but certainly not
cost-wise. If you can work some aggressive pricing (which at the end
of a quarter or year can be easier), it can be a pretty good deal for
an amazing box.

If you can afford it, use an MX80 for an all-Ethernet environment.
I've got several going, and they're just great.