[j-nsp] VPLS scalability question.. OTV answer?

Quinn Snyder snyderq at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 19:14:10 EDT 2011

otv requires a unique vdc (virtual context) to run, plus the desired
number of interfaces required to interconnect 'edge' with 'lan'
contexts, as there is no backplane interconnect between contexts.  oh,
and vdc requires the advanced license (~$30k list).  maximum number of
vdc per n7k is 4, as the vdc carves cam, tcam, mem, control-plane, etc
to each virtual context.
n7k-lic-adv + n*(sfp-10g + 10gbe interface) != free, especially when
hardware resources (t/cam) are factored on busy boxen.

my two bits.

q.

-= sent via iphone. please excuse spelling, grammar, and brevity =-