[j-nsp] JUNOS major releases - differences between revisions

Darren Bolding darren at bolding.org
Sat May 21 17:21:34 EDT 2011

Allow me to reiterate the significant impact
internal/confidential/restricted PR's have on the utility of Junipers public
facing PR lists.

To wit- the private PR's make the public lists essentially useless, and
researching them a waste of valuable time.

I've had various Juniper folks tell me that the policy is that if the PR
affects only one customer, it is kept private.  We have run into unexpected
impacts that were already private PR's on every single release of code, on
every single Juniper platform we have used to date.  We always ask that the
private PR be made public since it now clearly is impacting multiple
customers.  I've checked a couple of times and the rate that they have been
made public is less than 100%.

We've been told this would be fixed a number of times.  I haven't seen
progress.

So, for now, the best practice seems to be to watch forums, ask questions,
and slowly roll out new releases through your environment.  After all, we
all have budget, technology and resources to reasonably simulate real-world
traffic on a full-scale testing clone of production environments, don't we?

--D

--  Darren Bolding                  --
--  darren at bolding.org           --