[j-nsp] interface errors under "show interfaces xe-x/x/x extensive" output

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Mon May 30 04:53:46 EDT 2011

I have one 10GE interface(XFP-10G-LR, average utilization is ~1Gbps)
in my Juniper router facing the ISP constantly producing small amount
of errors:

  Input errors:
    Errors: 20, Drops: 0, Framing errors: 20, Runts: 0, Policed
discards: 0, L3 incompletes: 0, L2 channel errors: 0, L2 mismatch
timeouts: 0, FIFO errors: 0, Resource errors: 0
  Output errors:
    Carrier transitions: 4, Errors: 0, Drops: 0, Collisions: 0, Aged
packets: 0, FIFO errors: 0, HS link CRC errors: 0, MTU errors: 0,
Resource errors: 0
    Bit errors                             0
    Errored blocks                         1
    CRC/Align errors                        20                0
    FIFO errors                             34                0
    Output packet error count                                 0

In addition to those, there are for example few "AIS-P" and "RDI-P"
alarms counted. As I understand, "framing errors" in my case are
data-link layer frames with incorrect CRC. However, what about FIFO
errors and why aren't those counted as "Error" -s? Which of those
errors are important? Are some of those errors so low-level, that
those are fixed by some ECC implemented in PIC? Last but not least, is
there some sort of "normal amount of errors"?

regards,
martin