[j-nsp] MX 3D netflow capacity

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Nov 1 07:39:59 EDT 2011

All,

Correct me if any of this is wrong...

On the MX series routers, the only netflow you can do with DPCs is
heavily sampled, exported by the RE, and limited to Netflow v5?

If you have DPCs, you can buy an MS-DPC to do "real" netflow. Based on
the software license part numbers, it seems this card can go up to at
least 40 million (!) flows?

If you have an MS-DPC, how is the flow capture performed? Do packets get
routed through the MS-DPC and then back into the fabric, or does the
packet (or some portion of it) get replicated? Does this affect
forwarding throughput or latency?

If you have MPCs, the Trio chipset supports netflow "inline"? But I see
no indication of what the flow capacity of the Trio PFEs is. I see some
part numbers for "10 Gbps of J-flow (requires MPC)" such as
S-ACCT-JFloW-IN- 10g. But does that number refer to input (customer)
packets or output (jflow) packets?

I'm assuming these licenses cost a lot of money; can any give
indications of what cost? Or what fraction of the MPC cost?

How do the two (MS-DPC or MPC with built-in netflow) compare
feature-wise with "equivalent" Cisco platforms (ASR, for example). Do
they support IPv6, full "unsampled" (1:1) netflow, full src/dst ip/port
& interface "masks" etc.?

The upshot of the question is, what combination of Juniper hardware do
you need to do unsampled netflow "the same as an equivalent Cisco", and
roughly how much would it cost? I'm assuming "too much" is the answer,
but would like to be sure.

Cheers,
Phil