[j-nsp] VLAN-CCC over GRE extended to GE interface

Terry Jones terry.jones at wareaglecharleston.net
Thu Nov 3 14:45:37 EDT 2011

Hey Folks,

Hoping for a little helpŠor confirmation of setup. I don't have time to lab
up and need to make sure the setup will do as I need it to.

The goal is to mirror traffic from a Brocade switch at one site over a layer
2 circuit back to another site. At each site, there is a Juniper router,
J4350 on one side, M7i at the other. To make this happen I just need to
create a layer 2 connection between the routers connecting to the switches.
Simple enough using a vlan-ccc. The problem is that I have to setup the
vlan-ccc over a GRE tunnel. Now the question I have is how to make it layer
2 to the GE interface? Since I can using a vlan-ccc, vlan-ccc and family
inet cannot be configured on the same vlan-id, so I cannot terminate the
GREs on the same endpoints (GE) that I need to configure the vlan-ccc.

I apologize if this isn't clear enough. And yes, I have to use GRE for a
specific reason, so anyone have any thoughts? Am I approaching this the
right way? I've used vlan-ccc connections over GRE with success, but for
this configuration I can't say for sure that this is going to work as I
think it will without testing it.

Thanks,
Terry