[j-nsp] J-Series Router Options

Julien Goodwin jgoodwin at studio442.com.au
Mon Nov 7 16:58:12 EST 2011

On 07/11/11 06:18, R. Benjamin Kessler wrote:
> Hello All -
>
> We have a client with a lot of J-Series routers running 9.3 code or earlier.  We really like the features and functionality of JUNOS as a router and are more than a little annoyed that Juniper seems to be forcing us to turn these routers into firewalls.
>
> What are others doing to deal with the "flow" issues associated with more recent versions of code?

You can essentially "disable" the flow mode, it still sucks up RAM (if
you're doing full BGP tables you need, at minimum 2GB, 3 or 4 is better)
but it can still pretty much do the old throughput.

> Also, many of these routers have "small" CF cards (e.g. 256MB or 512MB) which will also cause issues with more modern versions of code.

Yep, replace with >= 1GB cards. But if you have to open them anyway for
RAM doing both makes sense.

Most likely you'd build the new image & config in the lab and send out
RAM+CF to be upgraded on site.

--
Julien Goodwin
Studio442