[j-nsp] QFX3500 as ToR switch?

Wojciech Owczarek wojciech at owczarek.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 17:29:53 EST 2011

Hi guys,

My two pence here - I think they are two totally different devices...

EX4500: 2U tall, will fit a shallow rack but still 2U, reversible air flow,
PSUs with fat 16A C19/C20 plugs, 40 x 10GE (max. 48), no 40GE, much higher
latency (store and forward only switch, 2 PFEs - around 4 x QFX3500
latency, if you care).
BUT supports VC and can also be stacked together in a mixed manner with
EX4200s which is quite interesting if you want to build a mixed media stack.

QFX3500:  1U, but damn long (70cm rack depth is the *minimum*, two mounting
points - front and back - are a must). Server type construction. This
device is designed to sit more in the middle of a rack than in the top.
Non-reversible air flow: front to back cooling only, but switch ports are
at the back, where server ports are and you can't change that. Console,
power and management are on the other side so you have power cables
sticking out the front of your rack, not good for server cabinets where
server fronts are very close to the door. Requires some physical planning
for deployment and for some people will not be an easy drop-in replacement
for their previous TORs.Much lower latency (single PFE, cut-through but
defaults to store & forward, I think it still qualifies as Ultra Low
Latency these days). Supports 40GE and will serve as a QFabric node. High
port density - 48 x 10GE out of the box, up to 64 x 10GE when using QSFP to
SFP+ break-out cables, turning each of the 4 40GE into 4 x 10GE ports.

Depends on what you want to do really, but the QFX3500 is more of a typical
ToR, and definitely more future proof.

Regards
Wojciech

On 8 November 2011 21:31, Jim Glen <jim.glen at codonis.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've deployed them and have been very pleased with their performance.
>
> The rational over choosing the QFX over the EX4500 is I intend to deploy
> these devices at some point soon into my consolidated Q-Fabric platform
> which the QFX is designed for the EX4500 does not have the same capability
> to participate.
>
> JimG
>
> On Nov 4, 201145308, at 9:56 AM, Sargun Dhillon wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone here has implemented the QFX3500 as a ToR
> switch. How have your experiences been, and how has it been as compared to
> other Juniper products? Additionally, I'm curious as to what made you
> choose it over the EX4500?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Sargun Dhillon
> > VoIP (US): +1-925-235-1105