[j-nsp] Practical VPLS examples (SRX and J series)

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 21:39:17 EST 2011

  We use both LDP- and BGP-signalled in our environment, with
LDP-signalled providing somewhat of a 'poor-man's hub and spoke'.  The
spokes are configured to only build pseudowires to the hub, and the
hub builds back to all spokes....works for our particular use case.

  Anyhow, BGP signalled.....as Chris K mentioned, BGP signalling
alleviates the need to explicitly configure the IPs of your other
endpoint PEs in the VPLS.  Instead, BGP advertises a site's route info
out with the VPLS's VRF target stuck on it, causing any other remote
sites also configured with that VRF target # to import them
automatically and learn about each other (simplistically).  Tends to
scale better than LDP-signalled for that reason, and in large
networks, because of the number of pseudowires required for
LDP-signalled VPLS.  It seems to me some BGP autodiscovery options may
have recently been added to LDP-signalled VPLS, but I haven't explored
them.  Downside of both versus what you're doing now?  With VPLS, you
learn MACs, so scale accordingly for your platform, though it sounds
like your CEs with be routers, so no biggy.

  The site-range value must be at least as large as the number of
sites you have in the VPLS.  So, if you pick 6 for the site range, you
can have 6 sites in it....but, those site-ids must be numbered 1-6.
Alternatively, you could use 100 as your site-range, and as long as no
site ID is larger than 100, you're good.  We tend to leave a bit of
room in the site-range value to allow for customer expansion.

  I'm almost certainly missing something in this config as I'm not
staring at a real one, but it should be close.  Doesn't use tunnel
interfaces, but you get the drift.

[edit routing-instances]
myvpls {
  instance-type vpls;
  interface ge-1/2/3.4;
  route-distinguisher x.x.x.x:yy;
  vrf-target target:yourASN:uniqueCustIdentNum;
  protocols vpls {
    encapsulation [ethernet|ethernet-vlan];
    no-tunnel-services;
    site-range 6;
    site siteNameHere {
      site-identifier 1;
      interface ge-1/2/3.4;
    }
  }
}

[edit interfaces ge-1/2/3]
flexible-vlan-tagging;
encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
unit 4 {
  encapsulation vlan-vpls;
  vlan-id 4;
}