[j-nsp] MX5-T-DC vs MX80-5G-DC-B

magno massimo.magnani at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 16:36:30 EST 2011

Quote:
That is not true. The ports are configurable and usable. But you need a
license to be allowed to use them. The license is just paperwork and you
dont need to activate it somewhere. However this policy will change in
the future, all MX5/10/40 bundles and line cards are EEPROM coded and a
later JunOS will activate these limitations (ask your channel partner
about this...).

Magno: True for today Junos, but as Juniper has the rights to lock these
ports it is not safe to use them for production. Of course, today all the
licenses (but the Subscriber management) are honor based but this will
change in the future for sure, so my advice is not to rely too much on this
approach because as soon as you upgrade the box to a future release you may
lose these ports. The license enforcer software is already in Junos, just
not used today.

Quote: 'No, we have multiple MX5/MX10 boxes and none of them have any visual
difference to a "real" MX80. If they changed this in the last 2 months,
then this must be new."

Magno: Yes, correct just because you have vanilla MX80s which were sold
just using a commercial bundle (basically the ones sold using the part
number MX80-5*/MX80-10*/MX80-40*) . MX5/10/40 chassis will ship starting
with JUNOS 11.4R1, so end of 2011/beginning of 2012. Of course, as I stated
before, there are no practical differences between the current chassis and
the new ones.

Quote: "MPCx and MPCxE difference also should be same, better oscillator for
PPT. (and supposedly 256M->512M FIB, i.e. 2M -> 4M routes or so)."

Magno: This is not 100% correct. It's correct about the oscillator, but not
about the memory. The only actual benefit coming from the memory upgrade
(256 mbytes to 512 mbytes) is about mobile users for the MobileNext
platform. Prefixes/nexthops are stored elsewhere; nevertheless the current
2.4M FIB IPv4 prefixes supported today will be increased by new features
such as FIB localization, to name just one.

Hope this helps.

Magno.