[j-nsp] MF Classifier on L2Circuit Endpoints?

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 01:04:12 EST 2011

On 2011-11-22, at 9:55 AM, Brad Fleming wrote:

> Is there any way to configure a multi-field classifier on an L2Circuit's local drop port?

>From what I've tested - Nope. Not on a J nor SRX for family ccc. (no sort of p-bit nor DSCP inspection possible). I do hope this changes in the future.

> I'm afraid the answer will be no but was hoping someone knows some magic. I'm working on an SRX240 but wouldn't mind knowing whether other platforms support it.

EX3200/4200 can do DSCP and p-bit on an ccc port. See: http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos11.2/topics/example/mpls-cos-ex-series.html

I've tested that under the 10.4 releases, it works... but since an EX can only do 1 label manipulation, you're stuck using kompella/RSVP based ccc's (no martini/L2circuits possible on EX, so no 'primary/backup' possible for something like an H-VPLS scenario to terminate on 2x different PEs for redundancy). However, if this is OK with you, this may be an option.

Not supported on the EX2200 or EX2200C, since those smaller/less-expensive CPE-like boxes don't do MPLS. (Hi Dave! =)..)

> Assuming the answer is no: How do you guys provide QoS services on MPLS L2 services?

You could do BGP-baed VPLS to a J or SRX series (that does work), and then do inspection on the customer-facing interface (as it's now family ethernet-vpls).. but now you've forsaken the simplicity of an L2circuit/CCC to your endpoint, and now require a full mesh of PEs. (Basically, we've moved the PE functionality to the CPE device, as opposed to just a 'dumb MPLS l2circuit endpoint' on the CPE.

I'd also be interested in other's responses on this one - re QoS solutions for L2circuits.

- Chris.