[j-nsp] End host mapping tool

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 21:40:26 EST 2011

Intermapper does this as part of it's "Layer 2" discovery...

- Scans a Subnet to find all IP pingable/snmp poll-able devices in a range.
- Gathers all the MAC addresses off your EX switches,
- Looks at the MAC forwarding Table on the EX to see which MAC is out which physical port
- Reads any ARP entries on any routers/switches to do the IP->MAC conversion/lookup.
- Then connects the IP devices it found to the correct physical port on the EX switch visually on the map (also in a easy-to-copy table view)

Commercial software, but pretty nifty. It at least 'gets it right' 90ish% of the time. =)

- Chris.