[j-nsp] MF Classifier on L2Circuit Endpoints?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Nov 28 11:05:03 EST 2011

On Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:03:53 AM David Ball
wrote:

>   For our L2 services, we demarc at customer prem on a
> small L2 non-MPLS CPE which does MF classification via
> ACL.  It then QinQs the traffic and sets an appropriate
> outer tag 802.1p marking which our PE will understand
> for classification, and it'll then remove the outer tag
> and dump into the appropriate VPN. This has let us
> standardize QoS configs on our PEs and pushes the
> per-customer customization to the CPE.

Another way we do it if there's no CPE at the customer end
is to simply remark all ingress traffic from the customer
with the appropriate EXP value, and use that for
classification within our core.

>   We've discussed the idea of pushing the VPNs right to
> the CPE, but haven't made that step yet, due in part to
> support by CPE vendors (hi Chris!).

Customer "ingenuity" has forced us to look into a similar
scenario. It's painful.

Mark.