[j-nsp] what happens in JUNOS when interface is disabled/enabled

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Sun Oct 2 23:58:31 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Tim Harman <tim at muppetz.com> wrote:
> Reminded me of the old days (or maybe still modern times, I wouldn't know)
> on a Cisco box where "no ip cef <cr> ip cef" would usually fix these sorts
> of problems.

It feels like we are having progressively more "CEF problems" with
Juniper boxes.  It would be really great if Juniper provided some
commands with the intent of bringing the PFE back into sync with what
the control-plane says should be in it, in a low-impact manner that
does not involve bringing interfaces down and up, bouncing fabric
modules, literally or effectively rebooting, etc.

Of course I would like to have fewer malfunctions / bugs, but I can
live with them more easily if getting the box back to a
correctly-functioning state is a low-impact operation.  I don't think
Juniper really gets this.  Bugs happen, that's life; but if the vendor
provides a relatively pain-free way to remedy the situation, it can
save us from tough choices like, do we reboot a box at 2pm to restore
correct function, or live with some serious headache and customer
gripe until 2am when a reload will cause less collateral damage to
unaffected customers or services?

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts