[j-nsp] SRX drops BGP session

Jeroen Valcke jeroen.valcke at belnet.be
Thu Oct 13 16:34:16 EDT 2011

Hello,

I've setup a BGP session between an M120 and an SRX240. Session comes up but
after 1m30sec the session is shut down. The BGP error is "Hold Timer Expired
Error". I'm pretty sure that the SRX is blocking the BGP keepalives after the
initial BGP session has been established.

Indeed, when I check the session table on the SRX. I do get an entry for the
BGP session, but it dissapears after only a few seconds. That seems wrong to me.

Just to be sure, I've enabled OSPF on the same link and the OSPF neighbor
remains adjacent

The weird thing is that we have plenty of operational BGP sessions between
M120s en SRX routers, but this is really the first time I see this.

Has anybody seen the same behaviour?
Any clues on what might be wrong?

Best regards,
-Jeroen-