[j-nsp] TCAM full on EX8200?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Oct 14 06:08:08 EDT 2011

On 13/10/11 20:21, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> EX8200 uses SRAM for forwarding lookups, and TCAM for firewall
> filtering. SRAM is perfectly capable of doing lookups at these speeds,
> and infact is a lot more flexible than TCAM, whereas TCAM is actually
> much better suited for doing high speed packet filtering.

On that topic; I'm familiar with how TCAM can be used to accelerate
routing lookups, but less so with SRAM. Is the SRAM used to implement a
"simple" lookup table/tree, or does SRAM have some special properties
that enable it to do fast routing lookups?

Just curious, if anyone has any pointers to how SRAM is actually used